Today I went to the clinic for my final screening appointment. Pam came with me because as my "partner" she had signed all the forms along with me and needed blood work done.
We were there for almost 4 hours, but had both taken the day off from work so it was ok.
The day started with a quick chat with the doctor about the egg donation process and risks involved. It was all stuff I'd heard before, but she made it very clear that my health and safety was their number one concern. That's great, but I'm terrified that we will begin and have to stop and meanwhile there is a woman out that who feels so close to finally being pregant and she'll be devastated if my body fails me! The emotional side of this is for sure harder than the medical side for me!
Then I had a pelvic exam and ultrasound. My ovaries and follicles looked great apparently. Then I had to pee in a cup (twice, because I had already gone that morning and even though they gave me 2 cups of water to drink it was still barely enough of a sample!) Could have been embarassing but I had fun with it. :)
Next I talked on the phone to a genetics counselor.
Then I had blood drawn, and they filled 10 vials! I couldn't believe it. I've never donated blood before even though I've always wanted too. So it was crazy to see that much blood squirting out of my arm.
After that we signed some more paperwork. We had already signed the contract, but this time we signed the copy that the Intended Parents had signed with their code names. On their copy they sign their legal names and I signed ED for Egg Donor and Pam signed DP for Donors Parner. And on my copy they signed IM and IF for Intended Mother and Father. Seeing their handwriting almost gave me goosebumps. I wish I could see them. I'm so curious about everything they've been through, and I'd love to thank them for choosing me. I know they must be so excited and nervous.
Then I was given the final calendar with my schedule. Tomorrow I start taking the birth control pill.
It's happening so fast! The approximate date for my Egg Retrieval is set for June 24th. I'm going to have to miss a few days of my summer camp job, and that's a bummer. But I just keep thinking that this woman has been waiting so long for her dream to be pregnant to come true...and I'm just excited to get it started!
I'm going to try and update daily or whenever something worth mentioning happens.
P.S.
After we left the clinic we went to eat and saw the movie Baby Mama. It was semi-appropriate, but not that great of a movie.
Monday, April 28, 2008
Starting the egg donation process.
Posted by Katy at 9:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment